Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Cat's Tale

Tessa - slightly annoyed with a wild bird which was just out of reach !

There is no animal rescue organisation in my remote corner of the world, and as I cannot bear to see animals suffering (some people here can hardly feed themselves and their children, let alone their dogs) I cannot turn any needy animals away.

When we first moved to Tanzania 10 years ago, I could not bear to see starving dogs & cats, and the only way I could handle the situation was to look the other way. But I cannot do that anymore. If I look at this situation as a whole in this country, it would be too overwhelming for me ... so instead, I decided to just care for those animals which I could. I live by the motto "To save one life, is to save the world entire". (Oh, how I wish that every expat here would just care for one stray dog or cat, or at least help their staff to look after and spay/neuter/vaccinate their own animals - it would make SUCH a difference.)

I've 'saved' several dogs and cats which have wandered onto the farm in the 3 years we've lived here. They've either wandered into the garden, or I've removed them from their "owners" who have had them tied up on short chains in the blazing African sun, with no water. They are now plump and content, and lounge in the shade of our garden all day. I have found homes for some and all have been spayed/neutered and vaccinated.

I have helped a few cats, too ... and this is a picture of the newest addition to our family, Tessa. She was found as a starving kitten at the end of last year - her right front leg and tail had been broken and she was unable to fend for herself. She would have died within days, with no food - or would have been caught my local dogs. Her leg was mended and she is now "whole" again. She is loved and cuddled and pampered and living a pain free life now, and has the most incredible little personality.

My animals play a huge role in my life here, and I will slowly introduce them all in future posts .....