Saturday, March 6, 2021

Felicity's Breakfast Scones

These scones make a delicious breakfast or tea time treat

I’ve been using this scone recipe for 17 years now. (Gosh, that makes me feel so OLD !) It came from my Mum’s cousin, Felicity. When I was a student in Durban (South Africa) I used to sometimes go and spend weekends with Felicity, her husband and her daughter as they lived in a suburb of Durban at the time. I loved the break from dorm life, and being in a family environment for the weekend … Felicity used to make these scones for breakfast and serve them warm, right out of the oven with butter melting into them and slathered in a tart raspberry jam.

Mmmm …. they bring back some wonderful memories, and they are now a regular in my own kitchen. I usually make them on a Sunday afternoon, and they are also a great standby if you suddenly have unexpected visitors for tea. (Which, let’s face it, doesn’t happen that often on a remote farm !)

Here is the recipe (which I’ve adapted slightly over the years). The secret to this recipe is to have a very light hand and not to over handle the dough. If you do that, you should have perfect scones every time – this recipe hasn’t let me down once in 17 years !


Felicity’s Breakfast Scones

2 cups Flour
4 tsp Baking Powder
2 tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
3 tbsp Margarine
1 Egg, beaten
½ cup Milk

Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar & salt. Rub in the margarine, until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the beaten egg & milk. Mix with a fork, until mixture leaves the sides of the bowl. Knead gently (and quickly) on a floured surface. Roll out quite thick – about 1 to 1 ½ cm – and cut in to rounds. Bake at 200’C/400’F/Gas Mark 6 for +- 10 minutes.

I’ve also made these into cheese scones before (husband’s request !) by omitting the sugar and adding ¾ cup grated Cheddar cheese instead.