Friday, February 29, 2008

Granny's Drop Scones

My favourite way to eat these is with butter & golden Tanzanian honey

I’m not sure if you can tell yet, but I LOVE to bake. I am trying to balance the recipes on my blog, so that they do not consist mainly of baking recipes ! I enjoy cooking but would bake all day, every day if I could (and if weight gain was not an issue - as I can’t resist tasting what I bake !)

My Granny Edith used to make these for tea when we were children growing up in what was then Salisbury, Rhodesia. They are also known as “crumpets”. They are so simple and quick to make. I remember making them once as a teenager, for my Mum who had some ladies around for an afternoon WI or Book Club meeting at our home in Northern Natal, South Africa. I vividly remember frying batches of them in an electric frying pan, and serving them hot with jam and whipped cream on the top !

When I had my first job, I lived in a quaint white washed cottage on a strawberry farm in the Magaliesburg, South Africa and I did not have an oven – only one of those counter top stove plates that you plugged in. So I used to make these on a regular basis for tea or breakfast - especially when trying to impress a new boyfriend ;)

You can serve these with butter and jam/honey/syrup with or without a topping of cream. They also work well with a sliver of cheese on top in place of the jam.

I have not changed this recipe at all – there’s been no need to, as it has worked perfectly since the ‘70’s (and probably before) !

Granny’s Drop Scones

4 heaped dessertspoons* Flour
1 level dessertspoon* Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
1 heaped dessertspoon Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
Sufficient milk to make batter
Margarine or butter for frying (seems to work better than oil for this recipe)

* A dessertspoon measures 10 ml's & is slightly smaller than a tablespoon, which measures 15 ml's

Sift the flour, baking powder & salt. Stir in the sugar, & add egg and enough milk to make a stiff batter. Drop tablespoonfuls of mixture into a hot saucepan. Lightly fry until golden and cooked through. Serve hot.