Friday, February 29, 2008

The Matriarch of Our Family

Zonde's favourite place to be, is lying 'begging' on the kitchen floor when I am cooking ...

How could I not yet have introduced you to Zonde ?! My beloved Zonde, who has walked by my side for almost 12 years now ………….

Everyone who knows me, knows Zonde. She has lived with us in 2 African countries – she is known in the cities and even in the small villages here. She is feared by many - yet loved by many more. She is a constant source of amusement to the local village kids because of her size (compared to your average, mangy village dog !) and because she loves to lie on the couches on our veranda and bark at people going by …too lazy to even get up !

We got her when we lived in South Africa – before we were engaged, married or had started a family - when she was just 6 weeks old. She is now almost 12 years old, and I honestly don’t know where all the years have gone … I looked down and there was a bright, playful, cheeky puppy nipping at my ankles and when I looked down again a few moments later, instead I saw a grand old lady shuffling along beside me – her eyes are dull now, her teeth are blunt - and I love her more than you would ever know.

She was cared for by my family – and then in long term boarding kennels – when we were working in National Parks here, where no domestic animals are allowed. As soon as we were settled in town with a home of our own, we flew her here from Johannesburg … aside from the day my daughter was born, it was the happiest day of my life ! (She caused havoc at the Kilimanjaro Airport – but that’s another story !)

For many years we lived in a very remote part of the country and my husband worked a lot – it was before our daughter was born, and Zonde was my only constant companion there. She has been with me through so much, she has protected me and loved me and has never left my side.

Yet now - her body is riddled with cancer. This dreadful disease is taking over her insides, and she is slowly dying – and after all she has done to save me over the years, there is nothing I can do to save her now.

All I can do, is to make her last days as comfortable as possible. She is not in any pain (yet) and all her major organs are all still functioning. She is too old for chemotherapy (which is difficult to come by here anyway) and the best we can do is to control it with excellent medicine (imported from Germany especially for her), a good diet and of course, lots of love and rest. But I know that once she begins to suffer (I would never allow that) I will be faced with a painful decision. Then I will have to do what is best for her, and not what is best for me.

We may have a year – or more. We may have a couple of months – or less. All I can tell you that I know for sure, is that I don’t know what I am going to do when the day comes that I finally have to let her go ……………..