Sunday, March 2, 2008

Cheesy Stuffed Chicken Breasts wrapped In Ham

These tasted great served with a fresh garden salad


We have satellite TV here on the farm – and it’s a God send ! It helps to keep us sane, and in touch with what’s going on in the outside world. Along with the internet, of course (which is as frustratingly slow as dial-up and is also via satellite – we have a large dish strategically placed in our garden).

Anyway, we love watching the “BBC Food” channel, and one of our all time favourite programmes is “MasterChef”. (The series shown here is usually a little behind the UK “live” series, but still …. ) Well …. I pretend that I actually love watching the programme, when in fact what I really watch it for is John Torode (one of the presenters) who’s quite a tasty looking dish himself ;)

We were watching it earlier this week, and one of the contestants made a really simple dish of chicken breasts stuffed with cheese, and wrapped in ham. (“Do you think this is good enough to get you through to the next round ?” John asked the nervous contestant as she presented the dish for him to sample “This is Masterchef, you know”.)

Well, the contestant never made it to the next round, but I thought I’d give the dish a try yesterday, as I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand. I used those boxed cheese triangles (mashed up) for the filling – which I smuggled back in my suitcase when we returned from our UK holiday in January … he he … the lengths I’ll go to, to bring “exotic” ingredients home ………

Cheesy Stuffed Chicken Breasts wrapped in Ham

2 Chicken Breasts
5 Cheese Triangles (let’s be honest here, they taste awful eaten on their own !)
1 tbsp Fresh Basil, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt
4 slices Ham (Parma ham would work well – so would bacon)
Olive oil

Cut slits in the chicken breasts to make pockets. Mash the cheese triangles together with the basil, garlic & salt. Spoon the mixture in to the pockets and cover each breast with 2 slices of overlapping ham. Secure in place with toothpicks. Place in a lightly oiled casserole dish, and brush some oil on the top of each breast. Bake at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for +- 30 minutes, or until cooked through.

I’m pleased to announce that my husband put me through to the second round, and that this dish will be appearing on our dinner table again. (Smuggled cheese stocks permitting, of course !)