Thursday, March 27, 2008

Gumboots

I do doubt, however, that small pink gumboots would be considered much of a "status symbol" !

“Iko shida kidogo, Mama” (“There is a small problem, Mama”) Justin said to me nervously as he was about to go off duty today (It is common practice, and considered respectful, to be addressed as “Mama” here). Hovering in the kitchen, he bit his lower lip and cast his eyes downwards. Something, he said, that has been bothering him and that he has wanted to share with me since my return.

“What is the problem, Justin ?” I asked, wondering what on earth it could be. He went on to explain to me in Kiswahili and a mixture of broken English that whilst I was away in “Afrika Kusini” (South Africa) “Bwana” (respectful term for my husband, equivalent to “Mama” for a woman) had purchased gumboots (Wellington boots) for all the farm staff and gardeners, except for him. “But Justin” I said to him “You work in the house and have no need for gumboots because when it rains you are inside, nice and warm and dry”. He said nothing, but cast his eyes sadly downwards.

Then the penny dropped. Of course, gumboots are a bit of a status symbol here on the farm, and as Justin is our “houseman” he has a higher status in the eyes of the local people than, say, the gardeners. Who all have gumboots. (And I’m sure that they’ve been proudly flaunting the fact to Justin, as there is always just a little unspoken rivalry between “house” staff and “garden” staff.)

“Ohhhh …. I see” I said. I then asked him how much a pair of gumboots cost … “Fifteen Thousand Shillings, Mama” he answered quickly (which is around U$12) “And there is a small shop in the local village which sells them”. So I gave him the money and told him to buy himself a pair on his day off this Sunday. “Ah ! Asante sana, Mama. Asante sana !” (“Thank you – thank you VERY much !") he said to me as his face cracked into a huge grin, and he lifted his head high again.

I suspect that now he can’t wait to come to work on Monday and walk through the gates in full view of the gardeners in his shiny, new gumboots.

(I also suspect that it’ll be a raincoat he needs next …..)