Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Josie

How anyone would want to hurt such a sweet little dog (any dog, for that matter) is beyond me !

I thought that it was about time I introduced you to another member of our family. This is Josie, and she is also a rescued stray who lives in our garden. (We suspect that she is one of Mbwenya’s puppies from a litter she had before she was spayed, as Justin tells me that one of the puppies from the litter she had in our garden was black and white.)

She used to come in to the garden and eat the leftovers from our other dog’s bowls at dinner time, so I started putting food out for her. She disappeared for a few days and I sent Justin into the village to look for her. He found her chained up with no food or water, and she also had a deep gash on her head where she had been cut with a panga (bush knife) - so we removed her and said that she was our dog, had been born in our garden (we’re sure that she was) and that no one was to tie her up again.

The person who had tied her up said fine, but you must pay me for her and I refused point blank (she is considered “prized” due to her colouring – which doesn’t make her any better cared for – ‘prized’ or not ). I said, how can I pay you for a dog that you don’t even look after ? I also said that if he had a problem with me taking the dog without paying him, then he should just open a case of theft against me at the police station. (He never did.) I certainly do not want to start paying for dogs as once word gets around, people will think that they can make money this way.

A little while after that, we discovered that Josie was pregnant. She had her puppies and we managed to find good homes for each and every one of them. She has now been spayed, and lives in our garden with Mbwenya, coming and going as she pleases.

If the word “sweet” was ever created to describe the nature of a dog, then it was created for Josie, because it sums up her nature and character perfectly – she is 100% “sweet” and wouldn’t harm a fly. She is still a little timid but has really come out of her shell over the years and follows me around whenever I am in the garden or around the farm. My days are brighter because of this sweet and loyal little black and white dog who trots behind me and gently nuzzles my hand every now and then to let me know that she’s still there …..