Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pan-Fried Tanzanian Trout

I garnished the trout with lime wedges & served it with a simple salad

I have decided to feature local Tanzanian food products from time to time – not that we have that many, but the ones that we do have are really rather nice and it will give you an idea of what we produce in this country.

We are fortunate enough to have a trout farm between our farm and “town”. They supply the local butchery in town with fresh whole and filleted trout, and trout pate on a regular basis and as my husband was in town for the day yesterday (collecting farm chemicals) I placed a quick order to the butchery via email (Don’t you just love technology ? It even works here in the 3rd world !) and asked for some trout fillets - which they gladly provided.

I was reluctant to freeze them as they were so fresh, so decided instead to serve them for a light lunch today, with a nice fresh salad. (Usually for lunch we just have leftovers or sandwiches but seeing as my husband has been “flying solo” on the food front for the 3 weeks I was away, I thought he deserved a little treat !)

I don’t believe in adding too many seasonings and flavours to such a simple, fresh product. I believe that in this case less really is more, and I just wanted the fresh taste of the trout to come through.

I heated a saucepan and swirled some butter in that until it had melted. Then I added the fillets, flipping them once or twice until they were cooked through – it didn’t take long, not even 10 minutes. After removing them from the pan I added a squeeze of lime juice (courtesy of our lime tree in the garden) and a little salt – voila !

They were delicious, did not have an overpowering “fishy” taste, the flesh was succulent and they had relatively few bones. A winner - and I will make sure from now on that I always have
some in my freezer for quick, light meals.