Thursday, April 10, 2008

Building A New Donkey Boiler

Out With The Old Donkey Boiler & In With The New ....

In memory of our old Donkey Boiler which you can read about here I thought that it would be fitting to introduce you to our new Donkey Boiler (which aside from being smaller than the old one, does the same job and is even more of an eyesore). This was made when I was away in South Africa for 3 weeks and on my return my husband was very pleased to show it to me. (Can’t say that I am as excited about it as he is, but there you go …)

The new Donkey Boiler was designed by my husband and made up here in our farm workshop – from steel which was cut to size, and then welded together by Robert (who is the farm handyman/tractor driver/Jack of all Trades). It has a 200 litre capacity and as you can see in the photograph, the water tank section is fitted to the top of the lower section, which houses the wood. It is different to our old Donkey Boiler in that it is closed, whereas the other one was open.

It sticks out like a sore thumb at the back of our house, and I have suggested that we build a dry stone wall around it to hide it and thought that I could then plant some nice, colourful flowers around the wall to spruce it up a bit ?

Ahhhh … the life of a Donkey Boiler owning farmer’s wife, eh ?! (As my sister would say “Lynda – you really do need to get out more !”)