Friday, April 11, 2008

A Flying Visit

Our 'bush' airstrip here on the farm - with the company 'plane on it. We often have to chase animals & birds off the "runway" before take off & landing.

Tomorrow my husband’s boss is flying out to our farm with a European client. It will be a whirlwind visit, with a tour of the farm followed by tea at the farmhouse before they fly on to another farm. (Watch this space tomorrow for news on what I made for tea !)

Many large companies and individuals here own their own light aircraft. It is one of the best ways of getting around this vast country quickly – especially to parts of the country where roads are in very poor condition (or non existent) and during the rainy season, some places can only be reached by aircraft.

We have our own ‘bush’ airstrip on the farm (i.e. not tarred) and the company owns their own Cessna 182 (Single Engine) 'plane which my husband’s boss flies himself.

I am one of those people who really hates flying – especially on light aircraft. When my husband & I worked in the safari industry here, we had to fly around in light aircraft quite a lot and I swore that I would never fly in a light aircraft again as long as I lived !

Last year I bought raffle tickets to support the local children’s home and we were lucky enough to win 2 return flights to the Tanzanian coast on a light aircraft. I am such a wimp that I refuse to use the prize – I would rather drive ! (I am trying to find out if I can transfer the prize to a fund raising effort for a local charity … it would be a shame for it to go to waste !)

It takes a lot to scare me …. but I have to admit that when it comes to flying I am a complete and utter sissy!!!!