Thursday, April 10, 2008

Garlic Bread

Slice the rolls in two places each (as pictured), being careful not to cut completely through to the bottom of the roll

Who doesn’t like garlic bread ? I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who doesn’t eat the stuff and I know that it is always a big hit at a barbecue (braai), especially when ‘cooked’ in the coals. It’s not very common here amongst the Tanzanian expat community – I don’t think I’ve ever eaten it at anyone’s house ? (I also don’t remember us ever serving it in the safari camps.)

Anyway, I often make it and it is just so simple … you have to try it …. it’s so easy it’s not even a recipe, really !

First you need to get yourself some bread rolls. You could use my basic white bread dough recipe here, or if you are lucky enough to live within a stone’s throw of a bakery/supermarket (and feeling a bit lazy) you could go out and buy some (which, let’s face it, is much easier than all that kneading !) -:


Garlic Bread

3 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Garlic, finely grated
6 round Bread Rolls (you could also use a French Loaf, if you prefer)

Mix butter and garlic together with a fork. Slice each bread roll in 2 places without cutting right through it. Spread the butter/garlic mixture on both sides of each ‘slice’. Wrap each roll individually in tin (aluminum) foil and heat at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for 5 to 10 minutes or until the butter has melted & the rolls are heated through.