Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ornamental Ginger

The brilliant red flowers of the Ornamental Ginger make a stunning addition to flower arrangements

I had never seen Ornamental Ginger until I came to Tanzania. I first saw it in a friend’s garden and at first glance, mistook it for banana trees – she had it growing as a thick boundary hedge, and the two plants do look quite similar - especially the leaves.

I have a single plant growing in a corner of my garden here on the farm. It is a lush, tropical looking plant with the most brilliant red flowers (pictured). Sometimes I pick a single flower and put it in a vase (you can see a photo of one here) they are stunning when mixed in to flower arrangements, too. (Although they are a little heavy and can topple the vase over if it is not a sturdy one !)

This ginger is not edible (as far as I know) and although some species are native to Australia, I believe that it originates from Asia.

If anyone knows of this Ornamental Ginger or has it growing in their garden, I’d love to learn more about it.