Friday, April 11, 2008

Toddler Fun - Making Cupcakes

We had great fun icing these cup cakes together - it was a messy job, though !

My mother recently gave me some paper cup cases, and ever since then my daughter has been nagging me to make cup cakes with her ! So, I obliged the other day but must admit that I was in a bit of a rush at the time and as you can see by the photo, the cup cakes came out a bit like …errr … well I’m not quite sure, but they came out in all sorts of shapes and none of them were round !

Let me explain (and I’m sure that other Mum’s out there will understand !) … I made the batter and had the cup cases all lined up on the baking tray and realized that once I’d filled all the cases there was still quite a bit of batter left over. So, instead of getting more cup cases out and filling a second tray (a real pain as my oven can only take one tray at a time, the kitchen was a mess and I was dying to put my feet up with a nice cuppa tea) I decided to just add a little more batter to each cup – oops ! As a result, they all overflowed whilst baking. Never mind, they were still fun to ice and tasted just the same.

My daughter wanted to share them as she was so pleased with her handiwork, so the dogs each got one (!!) as did the gardeners (much to their delight !) Upendo (Justin’s sister who is working here whilst he is on leave) and a special cake was reserved for Daddy when he got home from work ! (The cats turned their noses up at them, much to my daughter’s annoyance …)

This basic cake recipe is one my Mum used for all our birthday cakes when we were growing up. This is the only cake recipe I use – adapted for different cakes - so I’m sure that you’ll see it crop up more than once on my blog ! It is a real “flop proof” recipe and never fails.

(I should also just mention that as my husband had to make an emergency trip in to the “Big City” for farm chemicals this week, he was able to swap my expired milk so … we have milk in the house again …. yipeeeeee !)


Basic Cake Mixture

100 gm Margarine
¾ cup Sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ cup Milk

Cream the margarine & sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture. Add the milk.

Pour into 2 greased cake tins or 12 cup cake cases and bake at 180’C/’F/Gas Mark 4 for 20 to 30 minutes.