Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day !

Roses from our garden, given to me with a lovely card by my daughter this morning ! (The stone carved baby in God's hand was given to me by a Dutch friend for my daughter's Christening a few years ago)

Today it is Mother’s Day here in Africa. I’m not sure which other countries are celebrating it today, too. I know that Australia is because my dear childhood friend Di, who lives in Oz now, mentioned it to me earlier this week. An American 'foodie' site I’m a member of has been featuring Mother’s Day recipes this week too, so I think that America also celebrates today ?

Well, to all the Mothers (and Grandmothers) out there reading this today, HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to you – I hope it’s a good one for you !

Being a mother is the BEST thing I’ve ever done, and out of everything I’ve achieved in my life, it is my proudest accomplishment yet. I know it sounds clichéd, but honestly, my daughter has brought me so much joy in the past 3 ½ years she’s been on this earth that I realize now, how very empty my life was before she came into it, and the love I feel for her is – indescribable !

Mother’s Day is a bittersweet day for me, because I should be celebrating it with two children instead of just the one. I lost my second baby a little over a year ago now. I’m still heartbroken – and know that I probably always will be. But I choose on this day, to celebrate my daughter’s life and try not to dwell on what could have been …. and suppose if I could have a Mother’s Day wish, it would be that this time next year, I am celebrating the special day with not one, but two children.

Anyway, on a brighter note, although my husband is still busy with the planting (only another 10 days or so to go), he is taking a few hours off the farm today and we are going out for lunch, to one of my favourite restaurants in a town which lies almost at the foot of Kilimanjaro. We haven’t been there for months, so it will be nice to take a drive out that way again, and I hope to be able to take some nice photo’s to put on the blog, too.

Have a wonderful Mother’s Day, everyone !