Monday, June 16, 2008

Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie

A refreshing & nutritious smoothie always hits the spot !


Smoothies are a quick, easy and nutritious way to get your daily fruit or vegetable servings down. I must admit that I rarely make vegetable smoothies, and that the fruit smoothies I make almost always contain bananas, as they blend well and add a thick, creamy texture to the drink.

I must admit that I don’t ever drink smoothies myself. Why ? because I’d far rather EAT my calories than DRINK them … ha ha ! But I often make smoothies for my husband and daughter (usually as an ‘after lunch’ treat) with a nifty hand blender my Mum bought for me when I was weaning my daughter and making all my own fruit/veg/meat puree’s for her. It’s become a kitchen ‘essential’ of mine ever since. (Who wants to use – and clean – a bulky food processor every time, anyway ?!)

Smoothies usually contain ice, but we never keep ice in the house due to the fact that it has to be made with bottled water (what a fiddle !) and also because my freezers are usually both packed full of meat and food products and I don’t want to ‘waste’ space by filling them with ice. You could add some ice cubes to the mixture though, if you wanted to.

So, here is my very simple, very tasty Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie recipe -:


Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie

1 large Banana
1 heaped tsp Honey
2 heaped tsp Peanut Butter
½ cup natural (plain) Yogurt
¼ cup Milk
1 tsp Honey (for garnishing)

Place all the ingredients in a blender, and mix until smooth & thick. (It helps if the bananas, yogurt and milk are ice cold.) Garnish with a second teaspoon of honey drizzled over the surface. Enjoy !