Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Snake At Sunset

The snake was lying on the low white wall to the right of the photo. The windows above that, are my kitchen windows, where the cats come in for their food. You can see the thick foilage below the windows which the snake disappeared into. Ugh !

On Friday evening my daughter and I were alone at the house. My husband was on his way back from the city (he’d had to go in to collect chemicals and spares earlier on during the day) and all the staff had gone home for the day.

I went into the garden just before sunset, to call my daughter in for her bath. It was as we were on our way back inside and walking on to the veranda that in the blurred light of dusk, I noticed a long, dark snake draped in an “S” shape along the low white wall just to the left of the front door. I stopped, caught my breath and told my daughter (as calmly as I could) that she must keep very still and quiet, and that I was going to pick her up. A million thoughts rushed through my head in a matter of seconds … should I walk up to the workshop to call one of the askari (guards) to help me ? No, I thought - by that time the snake would be gone and either hiding in the thick bougainvillea around the front windows or – perish the thought - slithering in to the house through one of the open windows.

I had to act quickly. I got my daughter and the dogs inside. Now my mind was buzzing, the adrenaline was pumping - a stick, I needed a stick. But not a broom or mop stick. They are cheaply made here and break on impact. I needed something stronger. I ran to the store (pantry), climbed up to a high shelf and found a metal moisture prod ‘thingy’ that you put into the soil to test moisture levels. That should do it. I ordered my daughter to STAY INSIDE AND NOT MOVE and out I went.

The snake had moved – it was now lazily slithering into the bougainvillea, towards the open kitchen windows. Only about one third of it’s body was still on the wall. If I didn’t move quickly, it would be gone – hidden in the dense foliage. I know that the best way to kill a snake is to give it a single, sharp blow to the back of the head. You have to be quick though. If you miss, and depending on what type of snake it is, it could rear up at you, angered and dangerous. But it’s head was not visible – what should I do ? My mouth was dry, my skin prickling - I brought the metal pole down quickly, with all my might, right across it’s back and I felt the jarring vibrate through my body as the metal pole hit the brick wall. The snake slithered away quickly - into the bougainvillea. Had I killed it ? I didn’t think so. Oh, no !

I went back inside, grabbed my daughter, and, keeping her safely to the side of my body, returned outside with a torch (flashlight) which I shone down into the area I’d seen the snake disappear into once I’d hit it. Nothing. I could see nothing. The snake had gone. It was worse than I’d thought - an injured snake, no doubt now aggressive, so close to the house – that’s all I needed. It couldn’t be worse.

I came inside, quickly shut all the windows on that side of the house, made sure the dogs were all still in, locked the front door – and burst into tears from the sheer emotion of it all ! (I gave up smoking 4 years ago but let me tell you, all I wanted at that stage was a cigarette to calm my nerves !)

Living in Africa, I’ve had my fair share of snakes. This is the 3rd snake I’ve had to kill myself. I know that there are many people out there who will disagree with me killing an innocent creature and yes, I do feel bad about it as the snake was probably harmless but as a mother, my first instinct was to protect my child – and my animals. How would I have felt if the next day, my daughter had been playing and had been bitten by the snake ? How would I have felt if one of my cats had died a slow and lingering death from a snake bite ? I just did what I had to at the time, although I am not proud of it, and I do feel bad. But I just couldn’t take a chance.

When my husband finally got home about an hour later, he went out to see if he could find the snake …. we were planning on getting the askari to come and help search for it. I felt quite ill with worry.

You can imagine my surprise then, when a few minutes later I heard my husband say “Well. You got it. I’ve just found half a snake” and I went out to see exactly that – half a snake, neatly chopped in the middle (but with the head section missing). I obviously DID kill it with my first blow. The next thing my husband said, in absolute joy and relief as he picked up the metal pole was …… “Oh my goodness, that’s GREAT where did you find this moisture prodder ? I’ve been looking for it EVERWHERE” and then “Phew, I think I need a beer now !” I mean ….. really ! (Typical male, eh ?!)

I suppose what I’d really like to tell you is that this will be the last snake story I ever relate on the blog. But, this being Africa – well, nothing’s predictable ….. and anything’s possible.

So I guess you’ll just have to watch this space, and in the meantime, I’ll make sure that the metal moisture prod ‘thingy’ is never far from my reach. (But that the cigarettes are …!)