Monday, November 17, 2008

Lemon Fridge Cheesecake

You can serve this cheesecake with whipped cream if you like, & it can be garnished any way you fancy !


Okay, the holiday is over (well, for the time being at least as we have another 6 day trip away planned in a little over a month – but more about that later !) and regular blogging will now continue, with my posts publishing as usual at around 11 am Tanzanian time each morning ….

So, I thought I would start the week of with a delicious cheesecake recipe which I made just before we went away ….

Cheesecake is one of my favourite desserts (probably my most favourite !) although I prefer ‘fridge’ cheesecake to baked cheesecake anyday. My favourite cheesecake types are lemon, strawberry or cherry. (You can see some of my other recipes for Skinny Lemon Cheesecake over here, and for Strawberry Cheesecake Jellies over here).

This is a recipe which I have been making since I was at junior school in Zululand, South Africa. It actually appeared in one of our annual school cookbooks – you know the ones where each parent contributes his/her favourite recipes and then a cookbook is compiled & sold to raise funds for the school ?

The “Tennis Biscuits” used in this recipe are a South African biscuit (cookie) which is delicately flavoured with coconut. You could just as easily use a plain tea biscuit/Marie biscuit instead – or any other plain biscuit. I always use lemon jelly to make this cheesecake, but you could use any other flavour (peach works well with the lemon juice, as does strawberry).


Lemon Fridge Cheesecake

1 x 200 gm pkt Tennis biscuits
3 heaped tbsp Margarine, melted

1 x 80gm pkt Lemon Jelly
½ cup boiling Water
½ cup freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
1 x 397 gm tin Condensed Milk
500 gm x Cottage Cheese (Cream Cheese)
1 tsp Vanilla Essence

Crush the biscuits in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Add to melted margarine & stir until well mixed. Press into the base of a 25 cm pie dish. Place in fridge to set.

Dissolve the jelly in the boiling water. Add the lemon juice, condensed milk, cottage cheese and vanilla essence and whisk until smooth & well blended. Pour into the biscuit ‘shell’ & allow to set overnight.