Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Shortbread

Melt-in-the-mouth, buttery Christmas shortbread ..... mmmmm !

I love shortbread – along with rusks, it is my ultimate baked treat and I can have neither around the house when I am dieting as my willpower goes out the window when either of these 2 delicious treats are around !

Of course, as it is Christmastime now (well .... just past Christmastime, I should say !), all those inhibitions go out the window as I bake (and eat) shortbread with abandon …. mmmmmm ! My Christmas biscuit tin is always filled with shortbread to enjoy with a nice cuppa afternoon tea …

This is a delicious, buttery yet crisp shortbread which melts in the mouth and screams “Have another piece !” at you. I make it every year, and it works beautifully every time -:


Christmas Shortbread (from the book “Favourite Christmas Treats” by Confident Cooking)

2 cups plain Flour
2 tbsp Rice Flour (or you can use Cornflour/Cornstarch)
1/3 cup Caster Sugar (very fine Sugar) – plus extra for dusting
250 gm salted Butter, cut into cubes

Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add butter. Rub in using fingertips. Press mixture together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface & knead gently. Press dough (about 1 cm thick) into a greased square baking pan, prick with a fork all over & bake at 160’C/365’F/Gas Mark 3 for 30 to 35 minutes until golden. Dust with caster sugar as it comes out of the oven & then allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting it into squares & removing from the pan to cool on a wire rack. Keeps for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.