Saturday, December 13, 2008

Festive Chocolate Crunchies

You could make these Festive Chocolate Crunchies with either rice krispy cereal, or cornflakes

When I was a little girl growing up in Rhodesia (present day Zimbabwe), each year my Mum would hold a birthday party for me at our house in Salisbury (present day Harare). In those days, due to sanctions, we couldn’t get much in the country so everything had to be handmade. No shop bought birthday cakes and preservative laden sweets, biscuits and chips (even decent chocolate was hard to come by), everything (including all the decorations) was made for children’s parties by mother’s, grandmother’s and aunts.

My beloved Auntie Rosalie (my Dad’s brother’s wife) used to help my Mum to make all sorts of treats for the special day. This recipe is similar to one of the things she used to make – only she used cornflakes instead. Even eating these today, takes me right back to the carefree days of my childhood – especially since my daughter loves making them (& eating them !) with me. These were another of the party foods I made for her recent birthday party -:


Festive Chocolate Crunchies

224 gm Milk Chocolate
7 tbsp Margarine
8 tbsp Golden Syrup (corn syrup)
5 to 6 cups rice krispy cereal (or cornflakes)
Rainbow coloured sugar sprinkles to decorate

Place the chocolate, margarine & syrup in a heavy bottomed saucepan and heat until melted, stirring to blend well as it heats. Remove from the heat & add the cereal, stirring until the chocolate mix has covered it all. Drop spoonfuls into lightly greased paper cups and sprinkle the rainbow sprinkles over each one to decorate. Place in the fridge overnight to harden. These should be eaten within 2 days, else they begin to soften & spoil.