Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jelly Boats

A real hit with children, these Jelly Boats are not that difficult to make - I use an old egg tray to hold the orange skins in whilst the jelly sets

Bright & colourful, & always refreshing on a hot day !

I remember as a child growing up in Zimbabwe, having these "Jelly Boats" served at all the kids parties. My husband remembers them from his childhood, too and as they are almost always a hit with the kids, I decided to make them for my daughter's birthday party this year -:

Jelly Boats

10 Oranges
2 pkts of Jelly powder (Jello) in contrasting colours
Water
Toothpicks, paper & coloured pens

Cut the oranges in half & squeeze the juice out of them. Gently turn the skins inside out and place on a firm surface so that the pith can be removed with a sharp knife - they should be completely clean inside. Gently turn the skins the right way again. Make up the jelly according to the instructions on the box, and carefully pour it into the orange skins. Balance carefully in the fridge (I use an empty cardboard egg tray). Once set, slice each half again & stick a toothpick in the middle, topped with a colourful triangle of paper to make a 'sail'.

These are easy for even very young children to eat (remove toothpicks first though !) & I know a few adults who have been known to enjoy them, too ;)