Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sausages Wrapped In Bacon & Served In An Onion Gravy

This is a great way to use up any leftover sausages & bacon from your Sunday morning fry-up !

This is a great recipe to use if you have left over (uncooked) bacon and sausages from the weekend (think : Sunday brunch or full English !) Which is exactly what I had on Monday, so this is what I made for supper.

Not that I ate any of it, since falling pregnant and as with my previous pregnancies, I have completely gone of meat – yup, that’s right ! Aside from fish, seafood & eggs I am now eating vegetarian meals all the time. I have also gone off tea (same as before, too). Now, meat I can live without. But tea ? Ahhhhh ……


Sausages Wrapped in Bacon & Served in an Onion Gravy

1 x 400 gm pkt Pork Sausages
1 x 400 gm pkt Back Bacon (rashers)
2 red Onions, sliced
1 ½ cups Gravy (I use Gravy powder or granules to make this)
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Oil for frying
Toothpicks

Wrap 2 rashers of bacon around each sausage, securing with +- 2 toothpicks per sausage (the bacon should completely cover the sausage). Then lightly pan fry them in a little oil until the bacon turns brown and crispy. Add the onion slices to the pan and brown these, too. Remove the sausages and onions from the pan, & transfer to an ovenproof dish.

Make up the instant gravy according to the packet instructions. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Pour the gravy over the sausages/onions & bake at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for 30 minutes.

Remove the toothpicks, & serve hot on a bed of mashed potato.