Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Where On Earth Am I ?!

Here I am - in Queensberry Bay - which is on the Eastern Cape coastline in South Africa ! (I know, a long way from the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro where I'm supposed to be right now, but here's why ....... )

I'm with my daughter & son at my parent's new home (they moved in less than 2 weeks ago !) and the photo's above & below show the view of their 'private' beach, which their home backs on to ......

I know, I was all set to return to Tanzania on Friday .... but our son has not been doing too well & after a visit to his Paediatrician late last week, my husband & I decided that it would be in our son's best interest for me to stay on in South Africa for a while, until he is robust and healthier and ready for travel. As you know, once I'm back on the farm I really am in a remote place far from decent medical care should anything go wrong.

So, on Friday morning we caught an early flight out of Johannesburg to East London, and my husband stayed with us for the weekend, leaving for Tanzania yesterday as he had to get back to work/the farm. It was so sad to say goodbye to him .... we hate having to split our little family up and stay away from Tanzania for longer, too .... but at this stage our son is the littlest & most neediest member of the family, and we have to put him first.

Our son was 'failing to thrive' & actually losing weight due to feeding problems, which was pretty scary as he is already so tiny (2,5 kg's). I do avoid publishing my personal opinions on the blog, but should just mention that I am very pro breastfeeding and despite the fact that after successfully breastfeeding my first born until she was almost 2 years old, breastfeeding my son has been another story altogether and despite the whole so-called world wide change to promote breastfeeding over formula feeding ('breast is best'), I have met with much resistance here from Doctors, Paediatricians, Nursing Staff & the like and it seems like everyone is trying to get me to formula feed but I am happy to say that I have resisted and persevered with the breastfeeding and that our son has now gained .300 gm's in 4 days and is back on track again ! With his health problems since birth, and trials ahead of us in his future, I know that breastfeeding is the best for him, and have now proved that he is thriving and getting stronger by the day ...... thank goodness !

Anyway, we are looking at staying on for at least a month. By which time our son will hopefully be much stronger, bigger and healthier. My husband is back on the farm & all the animals are fine, all the staff are sad that we are not there with him but understand that it is best for us to return once our son is stronger.

The bonus for me is that I get to spend more time with my parents, our daughter gets to spend a month on the beach (!!) - her school is almost ready to break up for the long school holidays and I have continued to homeschool her here in South Africa with my Mum's help - and I get to rest as much as I can with my parents helping out with the kids.

So, this is where I am now ..... and I do hope to be blogging more regularly now on the sights and surroundings of the beautiful Eastern Cape, plus a few recipes using locally found ingredients, too .... so I'll be able to share a little unexpected part of Africa with you all, too !

I also just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the people following this blog as I see over the weekend I've had a total of just over 100 followers join - I soon hope to visit all the new follower's blogs, and catch up with the old, aswell as tackle my overflowing inbox - thanks so much to everyone for the emails and messages of support, if I could I would reach right out through your computer screen & give you all a great big (((hug))) !!!!!

More to follow .... thanks so much to everyone for being so patient as I have kept you all waiting for an update on my movements !