Sunday, January 17, 2010

Custard Powder Cookies

These melt-in-the-mouth Custard Powder Cookies are simple to make, and are ready in just 15 minutes ....


What with all the excitement of the recent festive season and being away on safari, I haven’t published many recipes on the blog lately – so I thought it was about time for one – and a quick, simple one at that ….

I’ve been making this recipe since I was in Primary school – in fact, it was probably one of the first recipes my Mum let me bake completely alone with no adult supervision.

With the ‘back to school’ season upon us now again too, these are fantastic for popping in to lunch boxes. (I don’t think that when I baked these for the first time as a child myself all those years ago, I ever thought I’d be baking them years down the line for my own daughter, though !)

These cookies are small enough to pop whole into your mouth all at once if you feel the urge (!!) and they have a lovely, melt-in-the-mouth texture, too. Enjoy !


‘Foolproof’ Custard Powder Cookies

100 gm Icing Sugar (Confectioners sugar, used for frosting ?)
100 gm Custard Powder (for me, only this one will do) - *see note at end of recipe for more info on what Custard Powder is*
300 gm Flour
300 gm Butter

Mix all the ingredients together. Work with hands into a paste, shape into small walnut sized balls on a greased baking tray. Press down with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake at 400’F/200’C/Gas Mark 7 for 10 to 15 minutes. Once cooled, you can dust with icing sugar if you like.

*What is Custard Powder ? This extract taken from 'Wise Geek' (see the full article here)"Custard powder looks a lot like cornflour (cornstarch), and in fact, is made from cornflour. It also has coloring , salt and other flavorings. The cook combines several tablespoons of the custard powder with sugar and enough milk to form a paste. The paste is then slowly added to hot milk and stirred until completely dissolved. The result is a thick custard sauce, not identical to traditional egg custard, but still good over cake, pudding or other desserts."