Sunday, February 17, 2008

A New Neighbour

The lunch table set out on our veranda

Our farm is quite remote and we only have one set of permanent neighbors, who live about an hour away from us.

So, you can imagine my delight when we heard that a new farmer had moved to the area recently - he has taken over an old farm a mere 20 minutes away from ours ! Of course the first question I asked my husband was “Does he have a wife/girlfriend/kids ?!” Unfortunately he does not. (But I suppose there’s always hope that he might meet someone here and I would then have a female neighbor, and children for my daughter to play with !)

Anyway, we invited him to lunch today and it was nice to finally meet him. I served lunch out on our veranda, which has lovely views out over our garden and to Mount Meru beyond. I usually serve lunch out on the veranda when we have guests, and if I am feeling particularly energetic, I serve it out under the ancient fig tree at the bottom of our garden. It’s a lovely spot, but quite a “schlep” to lug tables, chairs, crockery and cutlery up and down – not to mention the food !

For lunch I served an old stand by of mine, “Marmalade Chicken” (which I will post the recipe for shortly). This was accompanied by a potato salad, a greek salad and fresh garlic bread, and finished off with a peach and pear crumble with custard. It was an enjoyable day, and there were hardly any leftovers – which is always a good sign !