Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fat Free Spicy Hummus

I've served it here with toast "soldiers" & batons of cucumber

I know that traditionally, Hummus (or "Hummous") has olive oil added to it. I have tasted Hummus made both with and without the addition of oil and I have to admit that the oil free version does not have as much flavour as the ‘oily’ version. But I promise you, this recipe below is a great, healthy substitute … and you won’t even notice the missing oil as it has so much flavour.

This recipe originated from my sister in South Africa. I know that it has also been used extensively in West Africa by my dear friend Jo, and of course I make it here often in East Africa. (If anyone from North Africa would like to make it, then we’ll have the whole Continent covered ?!)

This is a great “dip” to take to a party and also makes a nice afternoon snack. My toddler has enjoyed dipping carrot sticks, cucumber batons and dried toast fingers in to this dip for as long as I can remember. It’s also delicious spread onto piping hot toast, or even baked potatoes !

My husband refuses to eat what he calls “rabbit food” or “diet food” but I’ve managed to fool him with this one … heee heeee …..

Fat Free Hummus

1 Tin of Chickpeas (drained – reserve some of the juice though)
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 – 3 Garlic Cloves (to taste !), finely chopped
½ tsp Mixed Spice (or ground Cummin)
Tiny amount of Cayenne Pepper
Pinch of Tartaric Acid (found in the baking powder etc aisle, but not essential)

Place all ingredients in a blender, and pulse to a fine paste. If it seems a little too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of the reserved Chickpea juice. This stores, covered, in the fridge quite well too.