Saturday, March 1, 2008

Gingerbread Men

Run, run as FAST as you can .....!

My toddler loves baking and “helping out” in the kitchen. I’m encouraging her to do this, because this is how I grew up and I really want the same for her – for her to grow up knowing, and loving, food.

The other afternoon she asked me if we could pleeeeeze bake something. So I asked her what she’d like to bake and she replied “Gingerbread Men !” So, here is that recipe -:



Gingerbread Men

150 gm Margarine
½ cup Sugar
1 Egg
250 gm Syrup
4 cups Flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Pinch of Salt
2 heaped tsp ground Ginger
½ cup Milk

Cream margarine & sugar. Add egg & then the syrup. Add sifted dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Mix well to form a stiff dough. Roll out and use a gingerbread man biscuit cutter to press out the shapes. Decorate with whatever you have on hand (sweets, chocolate chips, raisins) to make the eyes, nose, mouth and buttons. Bake at 180’C/350’F/Gas Mark 4 for 10 – 15 minutes.

(When we put them in the oven to bake, my daughter shouted “Don’t run away now, Gingerbread men !!” )