Thursday, May 15, 2008

An Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe

I iced the Chocolate Cake with some simple butter icing and garnished it with red cherries (very 'seventies' don't you think ?!)

In yesterday’s post I wrote how I’d baked a Chocolate Cake for afternoon tea. So today, I thought I would post the recipe, and a photo of yesterday’s cake !

This is a “basic” cake mixture recipe which I’ve used for years, and also used (adapted) when I recently made cupcakes with my toddler (you can see the recipe and photo here).

I made the cake in a single layer, but you could easily pour the batter in to 2 smaller cake tins and sandwich the layers together with jam before icing, if you prefer.

It’s a great, quick, easy and fail-proof recipe that has never let me down -:


Easy Chocolate Cake

100 gm Margarine
¾ cup Sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups Flour
½ cup Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Baking Powder
¾ cup Milk

Cream the margarine & sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the mixture. Add the milk.

Pour into 2 greased cake tins and bake at 180’C/’F/Gas Mark 4 for 20 to 30 minutes.