Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Warm Roast Tomato & Onion Salad

I sprinkled some toasted pumpkin seeds on top of this salad to add a lovely crunch to it

We’re still experiencing cold Winter temperatures here in Tanzania, so the other day I was inspired to make this delicious warm salad for lunch.

It comes from the August copy of the South African “Essentials” magazine, and I discovered it one night last week when I was reading in bed, and decided that I just had to make it soon ! (See my version of the recipe below, as I did not have all the ingredients called for on hand so had to adjust it a little).

I made it for lunch for my daughter & I one day last week when my husband was in the big city for the day (if I served my husband just a SALAD for lunch, he’d turn his nose up and ask where the meat & bread was, for sure – ha ha !) I added some side items for my daughter but I thoroughly enjoyed this salad on it’s own and found it to be quite filling.

I did serve the left over (cold) salad with supper and surprisingly, my husband rather enjoyed it !

Roasted Tomato & Red Onion Salad (from “Essentials” Magazine, August 2008)

3 large red Onions, roughly chopped
1 tsp Olive Oil
3 sprigs Thyme
300 gm Cherry Tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
handful of bagged Salad Leaves
2 tbsp roasted Pine nuts (optional)

Heat the oven to 200’C/400’F/Gas Mark 6. Put the onions, olive oil & thyme in a roasting tin, toss well & cook for 10 mins. Add tomatoes & balsamic vinegar, and roast for a further 5 – 10 mins. Tip into a bowl (I would let it cool slightly first, else the salad leaves will wilt quite a bit), season & toss gently with the salad leaves. Scatter with pine nuts (if using) and serve.

How I adapted this recipe -:

I only used 1 large red Onion & I added a clove of sliced garlic to it, too. I didn’t have cherry tomatoes (they are difficult to find here) so used 5 medium sized (quartered) tomatoes instead. I used 2 small red lettuce from my garden as my salad leaves & as I didn’t have Pine nuts, I used Pumpkin seeds instead. I used garlic flakes, salt & freshly milled black pepper to season the salad – some of which I added before roasting the veggies.

The next time I make this salad, I think I will try it with some fresh Basil in place of the Thyme, & I’ll add some rocket leaves tossed in with the lettuce. Ooohhh … I can almost taste it now !