Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Devastated

ZONDE - 25th July 1996 to 13th October 2008

My beloved Zonde has gone. She died on Monday night, soon after we returned from our safari. The cancer which had so evilly invaded her beautiful body, finally got the better of her. Just as it was my decision to save her over 12 years ago so, too, was it ultimately my decision to end her life - as I could not bear to see her suffer and made the decision to allow her to be put to sleep once our vet advised me that she probably only had a few weeks left to live. The post mortem revealed tumors in her spleen, thyroid and liver. The vet was amazed that she was still so fit and strong, considering. She had a great will to keep on living and up until last week was still acting like her normal self – going for short walks, jumping up onto the couch, chasing the farm motorbikes up and down the fence and begging for treats at supper time !

I had some quiet time with her on Monday afternoon before she left me. I lay beside her, holding her and hugging her with my face buried into her soft fur as I cried my eyes out. She lifted her head to gently lick my arm, reassuring me (as she has done so many, many times before) as my tears soaked her fur and I sobbed that it was okay, she could leave me now – she could go and rest and that I would be okay. Thanking her, for years and years of companionship and for everything that she meant to me.

I feel as if someone has cut me open and scooped all my insides out. I feel hollow and empty inside and I cannot stop crying. Zonde was my constant companion and walked beside me for over 12 years. I don’t know how I am going to live without her. I just don’t know what to do. I keep thinking that she is here, yet she has gone. I can’t quite believe it. Will I wake up and find it is all a dream ?

My darling, beloved, precious Zonde dog. I don't know how I am going to walk through life without you constantly by my side. I am going to try, though. But my life will never be the same again. That much I do know.

I will miss you always. My angel.

"Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives."
John Galsworthy