Friday, October 10, 2008

Mini Crustless Quiche's

You can serve these mini crustless quiche's with a side salad as a light meal - or even as a school lunchbox filler ....

Most of our visitors who come to stay with us arrive at night – especially if they arrive via air as most of the incoming international flights land here at night … and then of course there is the drive out to the farm from the airport. Which usually makes it a very late arrival on the farm indeed.

So, I almost always have a light supper of quiche and salad waiting for my guests when they arrive. I’m sure that you also have one of those standard ‘go to’ meals that you serve people on their first night in your home ? My Mum usually serves us Cottage Pie, my sister serves us Lasagne, my old Uncle Fred always used to serve us Macaroni Cheese … you know the sort of “travellers meal” I mean ?

I’ve experimented with all sorts of different quiche recipes over the years and my current favourite is a crustless version. Let’s face it, making a soft, buttery perfectly cooked pastry that isn’t raw or soggy is quite an art (not to mention a lot of work !), isn’t it ? So this one is a breeze to make.

This is also great if you follow a gluten free or low carb diet (the latter of which, is not for me – I’m a carb kind of girl, if you haven’t guessed that already from all the baking recipes I publish on here - ha !)

So, here is my own recipe for crustless quiche -:


Mini Crustless Quiche’s

6 Eggs, beaten
1 cup Ham, chopped
1 Onion, chopped & lightly cooked
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 cup Milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together & pour the mixture into greased muffin cups. (Fills around 10). Bake at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for around 30 minutes until done. Allow to cool & then gently remove from cups. Serve with a crisp salad.