Sunday, November 23, 2008

Christmas Biscuits (Cookies)

These Christmas Biscuits (Cookies) were a hit with my daughter due to their bright colours !

Here is the first of one of the many festive, Christmas-ey recipes I will be putting on the blog in the month leading up to Christmas.

Although I try to keep my recipes as simple as possible, I must admit that at Christmas time that all goes out the window as lots of the things I prepare require some effort and more time in the kitchen. But I don’t mind, as Christmas only comes along once a year, & it’s worth it !

This recipe comes from the South African book simply titled “Cookies” & published by “Pick ‘n Pay”, a major supermarket group.

I’ve also listed this recipe under “Toddler Fun” as these are great to make with your kids – they love to ‘paint’ them with you ! These were a hit in my daughter’s school lunchbox last week, too.


Christmas Biscuits (Cookies) (from “Cookies” published by “Pick ‘n Pay” South Africa)

75 gm Butter
50 gm Icing Sugar
finely grated rind of 1 small lemon (I use lime as the green gives a more ‘festive feel’)
1 Egg yolk
175 gm plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
pinch of Salt

To decorate :
2 egg Yolks
Red & Green food colouring

In a large bowl, beat the butter, icing sugar & lemon (or lime) rind together until pale & fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, & then sift in the flour & a pinch of salt. Knead together to form a smooth dough. Wrap in clear film & chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 3 mm thick. Using a 6 cm fluted cutter, stamp out as many biscuits as you can, with the cutter dipped in flour to prevent it from sticking to the dough. Transfer the biscuits to the prepared sheets.

For the decoration, mark the biscuits lightly with a 2.5 cm holly leaf (I used a star) cutter & use a 5 mm plain piping nozzle for the berries. Chill for 10 minutes, until firm.

Put each egg yolk for the decoration into a small cup. Mix red food colouring into one, & green food colouring into the other. Using a small brush, paint the colours onto the biscuits. (I also pressed silver cake decoration balls into some of mine). Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, or until they begin to colour around the edges. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack.