Sunday, December 14, 2008

Justin & I

We've worked together for almost 8 years, yet this is the first photo ever taken of Justin & I together !

Justin was such a help to me last weekend when I had a house full of guests, excited children and my daughter’s birthday party to cater for. He worked beside me tirelessly from morning ‘til night and on Saturday night even came back to work at 8 pm to help me with all the clearing up after dinner. He was back on Sunday morning to help me again, with a cheerful smile on his face and a bounce in his step.

I’ll admit that when I am under pressure and have a lot to do I get quite snappy with people and boss them around. Not in a rude way though (I hope !) I sometimes tend to forget that I am no longer running a camp or a lodge with up to 300 people to cater for, and a team of professional catering staff working alongside me in a kitchen equipped for it. Justin is very patient through it all. After almost 8 years of working with me, he knows exactly what to do/say/how to react to calm me and ensure that the job is done and that I have no further need to worry. He never complains, just gets on with the job at hand and is very patient with me.

I realised that after all these years of working together, Justin and I have never had a photo of the 2 of us taken together ! So this past weekend (amidst all the party preparations) I asked my Mum to take a photo of us in my kitchen. (Justin asked if we could take a ‘proper’ one at some stage when he is dressed in his Sunday best, so I will do that at a later stage). He was not too keen to look into the camera for some reason, and as you can see I am looking rather harassed (& just look at my HAIR - ewwww !) as I had been busy all day & still had lots to do ! (The apron I’m wearing is one my parent’s gave me for my birthday this year, it has a photograph of my daughter on the front and the caption “Mum’s Angel”. Justin's shirt is one I bought him a few years ago in the UK during the English world cup soccer).

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all that Justin does for me and my family – in fact, he is like part of the family. People often say to me “Justin is so lucky to have you in his life, you have done so much for him – where would he be without you ?” and my reply is always “Well, actually I am the lucky one because I honestly don’t know where I would be without him !”

(You can read more about Justin over here.)