Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mountains, Meringues & Magnificent Sunsets ....

Oh my goodness - it's Saturday already and this past week has just flown by ..... there were so many things I wanted to blog about, but they'll just have to wait for now as I buzz around crazily today, getting ready for a crowd of friends we have coming to the farm tomorrow for the day .... including children, there will be between 13 and 16 of us altogether & I am doing all the cooking for the lunch we hope to serve out on the veranda .... weather permitting. So, the photo above is what our house/garden looks like now that it's Winter ... and the photo below shows what I've been up to my eyeballs in so far today - meringue mix ! This is for part of the dessert I plan to serve .... which I'll put on the blog soon .....

And speaking of meringue .... and whipped white peaks .... here is a photo below of part of Mt. Kilimanjaro's icy snow cap - as viewed from our garden this week, too ..... (click to enlarge the photo for a better view).

Now, you know from past experience that I often forget to take photo's of the food and table settings etc when we have a crowd of guests over .... I hope I won't forget tomorrow, but just in case -this is what I'll be serving .... for pre meal snacks (a.k.a. 'bitings' here in Tanzania) I'll be making Cheese & Herb Twists, served with small wooden bowls of cheese, marinated olives and pickled onions .... then the main course will be (well I keep changing my mind on this one) probably 'Chicken & Broccoli Bake' with 'Oven Baked Carrots In Sherry & Honey' and Roast Potatoes and then for dessert I've made meringues and homemade fresh raspberry sauce which I'll serve with cream (no fresh cream to be had in the city this week, so tinned cream will just have to do !) .... afterwards, some nice Tanzanian tea and coffee and small pieces of Mum's Zimbabwean Fridge Cake (click on any of the above bold links to find where the recipe for each has appeared on my blog before).

So, I hope that everyone will enjoy the day and that it is warm and sunny (else we'll be eating inside, instead). Yesterday was one of our coldest days yet, with such thick mist I couldn't see past the bottom of the garden until lunch time when the sun came out. To make up for the misty, grey morning though, we had another magnificent sunset. The staff were just leaving (it was a late day for them as we have so much work to do before Sunday) and looked at me oddly when I threw my arms in the air and shouted from the veranda 'See ! This is why I live in Tanzania ! Look at that - just look at that !' as they gave me odd looks (and the dogs got excited and started barking at my heels) as I ran inside to get my camera and started snapping away ..... because I wanted to share the beautiful sunset with you too, below ...........


Have a wonderful weekend, everyone - and I'll be back on Monday with a recipe for that yummy Raspberry Sauce ........