Thursday, August 5, 2010

Glazed Lemon Pepper Chicken

This Glazed Lemon Pepper Chicken is easy to make - and tasty, too ! (Read on to find out why my chicken looks so pink !)


Here is another easy chicken recipe, which also has stacks of flavour. It is cooked together with potatoes and as a result the potatoes have a lovely sweet flavour to them ….. mmmmm !

The recipe calls for chicken breasts, but as I had none in my freezer last week when I made this dish, I simply used mixed (skinless) chicken pieces instead. (Another change which I made to the recipe was by par boiling the potatoes before cooking them together with the chicken.)

I know that my chicken in the photograph above has a pink hue to it. This is fairly common of chicken here in Tanzania, even when it is well cooked. When my husband & I ran safari camps here and had chicken on the menu, I often had to warn our guests not to be alarmed ! I have been told that this happens when the chicken is too young, or if it has not been hung properly after slaughtering or due to varying haemoglobin levels in the chicken’s tissues. I’m really not sure of the exact reason, only that I am so used to it now that I don’t even notice it anymore (and have never become sick after eating pink chicken as it is well cooked !)

A lot of the chickens here are fed on a rich diet of fish meal, and as a result we sometimes get batches of chicken which taste very much like fish (especially if you cook them and then reheat them – this seems to accentuate the fishy flavour !) When I have a lot of fishy tasty chicken, I cook it in strong sauces (e.g. a curry) so that it is not so noticeable – else fussy husband refuses to eat it !

Anyway, here is the recipe for you to try -:


Glazed Lemon Pepper Chicken (from the Good Food Magazine/BBC Book ‘101 Low-Fat Feasts’)

4 skinless, boneless Chicken breasts
4 tbsp clear Honey
Finely grated zest & juice of 1 Lemon
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
750 gm/1 lb 10 oz baby salad Potatoes or larger ones, halved
Steamed Broccoli florets, to serve (or green beans)

Slash each chicken breast two or three times with a sharp knife. In a shallow dish mix the honey, lemon zest and juice, garlic, mustard and black pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes or preferably overnight. Preheat the oven to 220’C/425’F/Gas mark 7. Arrange the potatoes & chicken in a single layer in a shallow-sided roasting tin & pour any excess marinade on top. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked. Serve with broccoli & any pan juices.