Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Chocolate Peanut Butter Biscuits

If you look carefully, you can see the peanut flecks through all the chocolate - yum !

The other night after supper, I was sitting watching TV when I heard a distinctive “clink” sound coming from the kitchen – it was the sound of my husband lifting the lid of the biscuit jar which I have sitting on a counter there. The “clink” sound was followed by the words “Ahhhhhh ………. no …………….. what …… no chocolate biscuits, then ?!” (Seeing as we haven’t had chocolate biscuits in the house for ages now, I gathered that this was a hint !) Then yesterday morning over coffee, he asked me outright “What about those chocolate biscuits you promised, then ?” I was just about to say “I never promised anything of the sort !” (being the beginning of the week and all good intentions with the diet, etc) when my toddler started jumping up and down in excitement “Mama ! Mama ! Baking ! Yes, let’s make biscuits for Daddy !”.

So, yesterday afternoon was spent baking chocolate peanut butter biscuits. I have no baking margarine in the house at the moment, so had to use a recipe that contains oil, instead. (Also, the high fat content in the peanut butter used in this recipe helps …)

I got this recipe off the internet ages ago, and have adapted and changed it beyond all recognition. In fact, I’m pretty sure that the original version contained margarine and no oil ? I do know, that at some stage I halved the oil and made the balance up with milk (which works very well).

I should also mention here, that in Africa ‘biscuits’ are to us what ‘cookies’ are to American readers. (Same thing, just different names !) I promise that they taste the same !

We are blessed here in Tanzania with an abundance of locally made pure peanut butter which is made simply with .... peanuts (and sometimes a little salt). In this recipe I have used slightly crunchy (unsalted) peanut butter, as I find the flecks of peanut show up nicely against the dark chocolate of the biscuit dough.

Needless to say, my husband was happy to come home last night and find a full biscuit jar sitting on the counter …. and there are not many left this morning !



Chocolate Peanut Butter Biscuits

1 ½ cups Flour
¼ cup Cocoa Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
¼ cup Sunflower Oil
¼ cup Milk
½ cup Peanut Butter
1 cup Sugar
½ tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Egg

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt & baking powder together. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, milk, peanut butter, sugar, vanilla essence & egg together until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix well. Roughly shape the dough into rounds and squash with a fork on a greased baking tray, and bake at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for 10 – 12 minutes. Makes around 30 biscuits.