Thursday, February 28, 2008

Some Carrot Ideas ...

Grated carrots quickly stir-fried with fresh ginger & soy sauce. You can also add some chopped coriander.


Now, because man simply can't live on biscuits, cakes, and meat alone, I thought that I'd better do a few healthy vegetable posts (!!)

I enjoy carrots – in fact, they’re one of my favourite vegetables. I couldn’t bear eating them the same way all the time, so I’ve experimented with different ways of cooking them-:

  • Peel whole carrots & then spray them with non-stick spray (or use olive oil), sprinkle fresh thyme and salt over and bake in a hot oven, turning frequently. (Thyme & carrots go really well together).

  • Peel and slice the carrots into rings. Add a sliced leek to the pot as you boil them in the usual way – the leek adds so much extra flavour !

  • Stir-fry grated carrot over a high heat with some finely grated ginger. Add some chopped coriander, and a little soy sauce – cooked in their own juices quickly like this, helps to retain a lot of the nutrients. (Pictured above – without the coriander though, as I’ve just replanted it so had none to add !)

    I usually keep a big re-sealable bag of grated carrots in the fridge. That way I can quickly pull out a handful to throw in to a casserole or stew, make a coleslaw, sprinkle over a salad, or cook up my “stir-fry grated carrots” above. They also make a quick & healthy toddler snack (& look quite pretty sprinkled over floors, carpets and sofa’s … as I discovered the other day why my toddler had been so quiet for about half an hour after I gave her her carrot “snack” !)