Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Back On The Farm !

Home, sweet home ! Our house viewed from underneath the ancient fig tree at the bottom of our garden

I’m back ! After quite an eventful flight (and many delays !) we landed at the Kilimanjaro International Airport at around 10 pm last night. My husband had to collect us in the farm pick-up as the roads are so bad at the moment after lots of sudden rain – he was afraid we’d get stuck if he came to collect us in my car, even though it has 4 wheel drive (and is a lot more comfortable !) So that should give you an idea of just how bad the roads are at the moment ….

The dogs all went crazy to see us again, and before long the cats all started appearing – so we were given a real welcome home by one and all !

I am elated to be back on Tanzanian soil again ! The spirit and friendliness of the people is tangible and even though it is the 3rd world, and poverty is rife, I do not feel at all threatened or afraid here as I do when I am in South Africa. Sadly, South Africa is becoming a haven for criminals and I was shocked at how standards all over the country are falling drastically … even in the 6 months since I last visited, I have seen huge changes. Service – efficiency – customer care ? It is almost non-existent across all sectors from banks, hospitals, shops, restaurants – so very sad to see. Coupled with Eskom’s (national power supplier) constant power failures where business lose millions and just come to a standstill almost every day … well, I’ll take 3rd world Africa anyday, thanks !

Of course it is not all bad, and I am only speaking for Johannesburg (Although I do believe that this has a domino effect and what you see in Johannesburg today is an indication of what will happen in the country and outlying areas tomorrow). South Africa is still a beautiful country and there is lots of opportunity there …. but there is a reason why so many people are leaving and why we chose not to make a life for ourselves there all those years ago (when things were much better than they are now !)

Only got to bed at 2.30 am so have not had much sleep, but bear with me as I hope to do some blog posts later on today …. after all my unpacking, of course ! (I’m pleased to report that I managed to get through Customs with all my excess luggage without any problems, and also had no excess to pay … my bags were 21 kg’s “over” in the end !)