Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bolognese Inspired Sauce For Pasta

I portion the sauce into labelled, reusable plastic containers which stack easily in my freezer

This is another of my monthly “Big Batch Freezer Meals” recipes.

I call this Bolognese sauce but in fact, it is not really a Bolognese sauce in the true sense of the word. I made the recipe up just from memory (I regularly watched my Dad making it when I was a child) and since then have altered it as I’ve gone along. So it is nothing like the “traditional” Italian Bolognese sauce …for one, it does not contain carrots or celery and it also has far too much tomato paste and tomato to be considered the “genuine” thing. Nevertheless, it is a tasty sauce for pasta (and especially enjoyed by carnivorous husbands who refuse to eat anything that doesn’t contain meat !)

I usually serve it with a sprinkle of grated cheese (one with a strong flavour as Parmesan is difficult to come by here) and a nice Greek salad and some garlic bread.

Bolognese-ish Sauce for Pasta:

Oil
5 large Onions, chopped
1 head of Garlic, finely sliced (about 8 cloves)
2 kg lean Beef Mince
3 x 70 gm tins Tomato Paste
3 x 240 gm tins whole peeled Tomatoes
3 tbsp dried Basil
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste
Oil

Fry the onions and garlic in the oil until golden. Add the beef mince and mix well, to ensure that the mince does not cook in “clumps”. Once the mince has started to brown, add the tomato paste and tinned tomatoes. Then add the dried basil, salt, pepper and sugar. (I find that the addition of the sugar helps to take the edge off the tartness of the tomatoes in this dish.)

This recipe makes 8 – 10 good sized portions and once again, as this is a bulk recipe, ingredient quantities can be halved or quartered to suit your needs.