Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chocolate & Raspberry Muffins

The raspberries soften & sweeten once baked inside the muffin so I find that no toppings are needed & they can be enjoyed "as is"

It’s a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon here which calls for one thing – a bit of baking !

My daughter loves making and eating muffins, so when I suggested that we “do some baking”, muffins were top of her list !

This is a recipe which I make on a regular basis. You can also omit the cocoa powder (make up the balance with some extra flour instead) for plain muffins. As a variation I have also added banana or flax seeds to the plain muffin mix before.

But my best “combination” is chocolate and raspberry. There’s just something about chocolate paired with fruit like oranges, raspberries or strawberries that ‘does it’ for me. (I draw the line at chocolate and chilli though. Absolutely not, thanks !)

I’m going to include this as a “Diet Friendly” recipe because these muffins have on average 158 calories each (depending on ingredients/brands that you use) compared to many chocolate muffin recipes which clock in a calorie count of anything between 250 to 400 calories per humble muffin *gasp*


Chocolate & Raspberry Muffins

1 2/3 cups Flour
¾ cup brown Sugar
1/3 cup Cocoa powder
3 ½ tsp Baking powder
½ tsp Salt

1 Egg, beaten
1 cup fat free Milk (Soy milk also works well)
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
¼ cup Sunflower Oil

½ cup fresh Raspberries

Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, & blend well. Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl, & blend well. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix only to moisten. The mixture will be lumpy but it is important not to over mix it.

I use a 12 cup muffin tin which I spray with non-stick cooking spray before placing a few raspberries in to the bottom of each muffin cup and then topping with a generous tablespoon of the muffin batter. I then take a teaspoon and gently “lift” and fold the raspberries through the batter in each cup, so that they don’t all sink to the bottom.

Bake at for 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for 20 – 30 minutes until done.

When the raspberries cook they go all gooey like jam, so I find that you don’t actually need to serve these muffins with anything – just eat them as is and enjoy !