Friday, March 28, 2008

Farm Style Meatballs

My favourite way to serve these is with a tomato and onion gravy, nestled on a bed of freshly cooked pasta

I have been doing “Once A Month Cooking” or “Big Batch Freezer Meals" for about a year or so now. I will elaborate on it in a future post but basically, I cook enough of one recipe to make 5 – 8 portions which I then label and put in the freezer. We usually have “freezer meals” a few times a week and I cook vegetables and starches (potatoes, pasta, rice etc) fresh every day.

This is one of my own standard monthly “Freezer Meal” recipes and it is so versatile as it can be served as a main course, light lunch or even as a snack with pre dinner drinks or cocktails (not that I host any cocktail parties on the farm !). I always make sure that I have a few portions in my freezer -:

Farm Style Meatballs

2 kg Minced Meat (Beef or Pork)
3 Onions, finely chopped
6 – 8 cloves Garlic, finely grated
2 x 70 gm tins Tomato Paste
2 tbsp Mustard (Hot English or Dijon)
2 tbsp Dried Herbs (Sage works well if using pork mince)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Oil

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well. (I find that using my hands for this works best, although it is a bit messy !)

Shape in to small balls and lightly pan fry in the oil until golden.

Serve with tomato & onion gravy over pasta, or with a dark meat based gravy over mashed potato. These also make a great light lunch or cocktail snack.

Makes +- 75 meatballs but you could halve or even quarter the recipe if you like.