Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Safe Arrival

The colourful "Golden Shower" at the entrance to my parent's garden

Just wanted to do a quick update to say that I have arrived safely in South Africa. It is lovely to be with my parents again, and my daughter is having a ball !

It is hot and busy here in this vibrant city and as usual, it is a bit of a culture shock coming from the 3rd world into a country where everything seems so much shinier and newer and small things take getting used to - like driving on good tarred roads with no potholes, the sheer number of cars on the road (with no goats or chickens on the roof racks !), the sound of the traffic (and car alarms, and neighbours) at night, and the vast selection in the shops of every kind of product imaginable. Whereas in Tanzania I may have say, only 3 or so brands of shampoo to choose from in a specific shop, here I am overwhelmed by the choice on offer, and battle to make a decision !

I have so far managed to fit in a couple of nice lunches out, have revelled in the luxury of being able to order a skinny cappuccino from a favourite coffee bar, and have scoured the shelves for the latest ingredients available, seen what fruit and veg is in season here and been inspired by some new dishes my parents have cooked for me. So watch this space, I'll be posting more and a recipe or two soon !