Monday, April 7, 2008

Another Magnificent African Sunset

Hues of pink, red, purple and lilac - took my breath away !

I just wanted to share with you, our beautiful sunset this evening – as viewed from our front veranda. I was hurriedly feeding the dogs, getting my daughter in for her bath, closing curtains, thinking about supper … when I looked up and saw the sun slowly sinking in the sky. I quickly grabbed my camera and ran outside – you know how at that time of the day the light just suddenly ‘goes’ if you’re not quick enough ?

Of course the photo doesn’t really do the magnificent sunset much justice, you really had to be here to appreciate the full beauty of it …. the different hues of pinks, reds, lilac’s and purple in the sky were truly beautiful.

When I look out over this view of hills and valleys, it always looks so surreal to me. It is so perfect, it is almost false – if that makes any sense ! The rising hills with their different shades of blue and grey remind me of the stage backdrops used in the theatre. No two sunsets are ever the same.

If you had to travel towards those hills, you would pass a huge soda lake with even more magnificent views as you went. If you went beyond that, you would reach Kenya. But that is the “back way” to Kenya and not many people travel there.

So, as the sun has set on yet another day here in Africa, I’ll say goodnight to you all … and I hope that you enjoyed the sunset in your part of the world today, too …