Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Garden Update ...

The gardeners thought that they would surprise me by building a wooden enclosure for the seedling bags. It was a surprise, alright !

I just wanted to post a quick garden update. The flower and vegetable seedlings which we planted a few weeks ago are coming along well. Most of them have germinated and some are doing particularly well (like the Alyssum, Hollyhock and some of the lettuce varieties).

The gardener’s thought that they were being very efficient and organized and decided to build a small wooden enclosure (pictured above) so that all the seedling bags would be kept safe and out of harms way (from galloping dogs and inquisitive toddlers – although they didn’t say this in so many words !). It was meant to be a “surprise for Mama” and they were very pleased to show me what they’d done earlier this week.

The only problem being, that some of the seedlings require more water and sun than others and the reason why I colour coded and labeled them all in the first place, was to make it easier for the gardeners to know which ones needed sun/shade/lots of water/limited water. Now they are all lumped together in one spot, and as none of the seedling bags are sealed underneath they are very tricky to move. Some of the sticks have also fallen out of the bags and been mixed up or lost completely – so much for my careful planning and labeling – I despair !

Anyway, they were so proud of their little seedling enclosure thingy that I didn’t have the heart to tell them to take half the seedlings out, but thanked them very much for all their hard work instead (!!)

I think I will be transplanting and thinning some of the seedlings out within the next week or two, so will keep you updated …..