Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Vegetable Seeds Have All Been Planted ...

Justin posing in the newly planted vegetable seed beds

I have been busy with Justin and two of our gardeners (Nelson and Hemmed) this past week planting the remainder of the flower seeds, and some vegetable seeds, which I brought back from South Africa with me.

In addition to the flower seeds we planted last week, we have now also planted -:

Lupin (“Giant King” Variety)
Alyssum (“Violet Queen” Variety)
Phlox (Drummondi)
Linum (Blue Dress)
Bellis Perennis (Monstrosa Mix)
Verbena (Mammoth Mix)

We can buy most vegetables easily in the local markets here, and as we have a problem with birds eating our vegetables in the farm garden I do not ever really grow many myself - except for vegetable varieties which cannot be bought easily here as very few people grow them. (These include different lettuce varieties and almost all herbs.)

As I already have Basil, Coriander (Cilantro), Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary and Mint growing in the garden (or in pots), yesterday I planted the following herb and vegetable seeds -:

Lettuce (3 varieties – “Great Lakes”, “All Year Round” & “Veneza Roxa”)
Spinach (Monstrous Viroflay)
Rocket (2 varieties – “Eruca Sativa” & “Sweet Salad Rocket”)
Mixed Herbs (which included – by the look of the picture on the packet - Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, Sage, Fennel, Coriander/Cilantro, Basil and Chives)

The flower seeds have been planted in to bags and the vegetable seeds have been planted directly in to beds. Once they have all germinated and grown a little, we will thin them out.

Each morning it is really exciting to walk up to the “veggie patch” and see what has germinated overnight ! So far the Linum and the Hollyhock have started to germinate. I think I may just have to post a weekly “Gardening” update with photo’s so that you can see how my garden grows ….