Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sausage Rolls

These are lovely served with a fresh salad and Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)

This morning after our “Farmhouse Breakfast” tradition which I spoke about last Sunday, I had some pork sausages left over and decided to make some sausage rolls.

Now, I know that sausage rolls should be made with a light, fluffy puff pastry but we prefer a slightly different pastry on ours. Not as flaky as the traditional sausage roll pastry, but not as oily either – and to be honest, this pastry is MUCH easier than trying to make fiddly puff pastry !

This pastry recipe comes from my Grandmother, and I use it for all my savoury pie recipes as well. It is unusual in that it uses boiling water in the mix – which somehow just makes the pastry come together all that much better ?

For the sausage rolls I simply roll the pastry out and cut it in to a large rectangular shape. Then I cut it in to 6 (or however many sausages you have) smaller rectangles and roll one around each (raw) pork sausage. I then make a few slashes across the top of each & brush it with some beaten egg. These are then baked at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 on a baking tray in the oven for around 30 minutes until golden brown. They’re great served with a salad as a light meal, or with mashed potato, gravy and peas as a main meal. You could even cut them in to smaller pieces and serve them as cocktail snacks. Or add them to a school lunch box.


Hot Water Pastry

3 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Margarine
½ cup boiling Water

Sift the dry ingredients together. Rub the margarine in with a fork until well mixed but not too fine. Add enough of the boiling water to make a stiff paste. Roll out on a well floured surface & use as desired.