Monday, May 5, 2008

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies Recipe

These Chocolate Shortbread Cookies can also be sandwiched together with sweetened cream & served with berries on the side as an alternative - and delicious - dessert !



As you can tell by now, I have more of a sweet tooth than a savoury one and I love to bake more than I love to cook. If I could bake every day of my life, I would be a happy girl ;)

So, here’s my favourite chocolate shortbread cookie recipe to brighten up your Monday …. now pour yourself a nice cuppa tea and … enjoy !


Chocolate Shortbread Cookies Recipe

225 gm salted Butter
½ cup Icing Sugar
2 cups Flour
4 tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Essence (or equivalent amount of Vanilla Extract)
4 tbsp Milk

Cream the butter & icing sugar together and then add the rest of the ingredients. Blend well and lightly knead into a dough. Roll out very thinly on a floured surface. Cut into rounds and prick each round a few times with a fork before baking. Bake on a greased baking sheet at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for 20 minutes.

You can sprinkle some caster sugar over the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven if you like.

I have also pressed the cookie dough into a greased baking tray and cut it in to squares once baked, and on other occasions have rolled the dough into balls and pressed them with a fork to flatten slightly before baking.