Friday, June 20, 2008

(Almost Fat Free) Apple Cinnamon Muffins

These were delicious for breakfast - with a nice cuppa tea, of course !

Seeing as I’ve just had exciting new supplies arrive on the recent container from Holland – one of the items being jars and jars of applesauce – I just had to try some experimental baking with it !

The majority of the recipes I post on my blog are tried and tested favourites which I’ve made for years (or have been made by my family for years) . So I have to confess that this recipe was one I only came up with last week ! But, having said that, it does originate from one of my tried and tested old favourites which you’ve seen here before – the recipe for “Chocolate & Raspberry Muffins”. I’ve just fiddled with that recipe a bit, to come up with this.

The fact that these are made without the addition of any sort of cooking fat (applesauce has been used in place of this), I must just point 2 things out …firstly, these muffins should be eaten within 2 days of baking as they do not last as long as their fattier relatives (!!) – their texture is also slightly tougher as a result. (They do freeze well, though). Secondly, I remove them from the oven when they still have just a little way (around 5 mins) to go. Actually, I just leave them in there with the oven switched off. This way, they come out perfectly.

For those of you who count them, these muffins work out at around 120 calories each. Not bad for a nice sized muffin like this ! I’m not sure of the fat content, as the only fat added was the egg (yolk).

My applesauce is the sweetened variety. If you’re using unsweetened applesauce, you may want to increase the sugar from ½ cup to ¾ cup instead.


Almost Fat Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins

2 cups Flour
½ cup brown Sugar
3 ½ tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon powder
½ tsp Salt
1 Egg, beaten
1 cup Skim Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
¼ cup sweetened Apple Sauce (if using unsweetened, increase sugar to ¾ cup)

Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, & blend well. Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl, & blend well. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix only to moisten. The mixture will be lumpy but it is important not to over mix it.

Spoon the batter in to a 12 cup muffin tin which has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake at for 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for 15 – 25 minutes.