Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Egg & Bacon Cups

These are great when you have a crowd of people to cook breakfast for, as you can prepare them beforehand & just pop them in the oven about 15 minutes before you're ready to eat.

I made these for breakfast a couple of Sunday’s ago, and have been meaning to post about them since then. I’m not sure what their ‘real’ name is, but I just call them “Egg & Bacon Cups”. They are so simple to make - especially when you have a crowd of people, or need a hearty breakfast in a hurry !

I saw this idea on TV a couple of years ago – it originated from Antony Worrall Thompson and I think it was on the show “Saturday Kitchen” that I saw it. (This is just loosely based on his recipe as I can’t even remember what the original recipe was now !)

Basically, you just place whatever you’d like for breakfast into a greased muffin cup, break an egg on top and bake it in the oven. These ‘cups’ can then be served on top of a slice of hot buttered toast for a quick and satisfying breakfast.

The best part of it, of course, is that there’s less washing up to do than if you were frying eggs and bacon on the stove top using all those pans – well, I know that Justin thanks me for it – ha ha !

This is how I made mine the other day -:


Egg & Bacon Cups

These ingredients are per person/cup -:
3 small rashers Back Bacon
1 slice Tomato
1 Egg
Salt & Pepper
(Butter if you wish - a blob in each)

Lightly grease the muffin cups. Place the bacon rashers at the base/sides of the cup to form a “shell”. Place the tomato slice on top of the bacon. Then break an egg on top of the tomato. Season with salt & pepper and add a blob of butter if you like.

Bake at Gas Mark 6/200'C/400'F for 12 to 15 mins.

You could add whatever you fancied to the ‘cup’ before cooking … I used the above as they all sort of cooked at the same time but you could also add items that have been pre-cooked lightly first - like onions or green peppers. Mushrooms (or even a whole, larger one) also work well.