Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Hot Pineapple Salad Recipe

The spicy yellow pineapple contrasts beautifully with the crisp, green spinach - yum !

This is one of my Mum’s hot salad recipes which she saw on a TV cooking show. I like the idea of serving (and eating !) a hot salad once in awhile – especially on a cold Winter’s day like the ones we’re experiencing in Africa at the moment.

My Mum actually made this recipe when they had friends around last weekend for lunch, and I asked if she’d mind me using it on the blog, along with the photo she emailed me.

As I’ve mentioned before, my entire family are ‘food mad’ and because we live on opposite sides of the African continent, my Mum and I often email each other what we’re making for supper, what we plan to eat over the weekend, new recipes and twists on old favourites along with (sometimes) photo’s of what we’ve just cooked !

I know that might sound a bit odd but, well …. I guess that’s what happens when the whole family are food fanatics and do strange things like discuss over breakfast what we’ll be having for supper, book holiday accommodation in relation to where the best restaurants are, and start planning their Christmas day lunch menu in July !

So ….. here’s the yummy recipe. (Thanks, Mum !)


Hot Pineapple Salad

1 bunch Spinach - rinsed, stems removed, shredded or torn in pieces
2 tbsp Butter (I used olive oil)
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp Masala Powder*
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Coriander seeds
1 large (or 2 small) Pineapples, peeled and sliced into wedges
1 large Lemon, sliced into wedges

Line a salad bowl with the Spinach leaves. Then heat the butter, add the onion & stir fry until transparent. Add the Masala powder, Cumin & Coriander seeds & stir fry lightly. Add the pineapple and half the lemon wedges and fry until well coated with the spices. Arrange on the spinach leaves, and garnish with the remaining lemon wedges if desired.

*Masala Powder can be found in the spice section of most major supermarkets. (It is also sometimes called "Garam Masala".) It is a mixture of dried, ground spices which usually includes either some or all of the following -: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cumin, cardamom, caraway, ginger, coriander & chilli to mention a few. If you cannot find Masala you can use a mild Curry Powder instead.