Saturday, June 28, 2008

Karine's Chutney & Mayo Chicken Dish

You can use tomato or chicken soup mix if you don't have any brown onion on hand

Chances are, if you have ever regularly visited or eaten at our house over the years, you’ve been served this at least once around my dinner table ! It’s just one of those dead easy “go to” recipes that can be adjusted according to whatever you happen to have on hand at the time.

My dear school friend, Karine, gave me this recipe 18 years ago and I have honestly been cooking it regularly since then *gasp* I am getting old !

Karine was the first of our ‘core’ group of school friends to get married and have a home of her own. I remember (feeling terribly grown up) visiting her in her new home one day for lunch, and she served this dish to me as we sat at her kitchen table and gossiped ! As an 18 year old at that time, I had recently acquired my driver’s licence so had driven to her house alone (oh my – how grown up is THAT ?!) in my first ever car – a yellow VW Beetle called “Maxine” who my parents had given to me for my 18th birthday.

I haven’t seen Karine for years, although we do still keep in regular contact and I have to say that EVERY time I cook this dish, I think of her ….. and of our great friendship that has stood the test of time !


Karine’s Chutney & Mayo Chicken Dish

1 pkt Brown Onion Soup (powder)
1 cup Chutney
1 cup Mayonnaise
2 Onions, sliced
Handful of baby Carrots (or large carrots, sliced)
8 x Chicken Pieces (legs, thighs – skin removed)

Mix the soup powder, chutney & mayonnaise together. Place the the onions, baby carrots and chicken pieces into an oven proof dish and pour the mixture over, mixing well to coat everything. Bake, uncovered, at Gas Mark 4/180’c/350’F for around 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until done.

Serve with rice and a crisp salad or vegetables.

*Note – you can leave the skin on the chicken pieces if you wish. You can also add spring onions, tomatoes or anything that takes your fancy. If you don’t have brown onion soup in the house, you can use tomato or chicken soup as an alternative. There are so many ways to prepare this dish depending on your mood/ingredients – anything goes !